Thursday, June 19, 2008

Getting All Forrest Gump on Myself

I’m getting wayyy too Forrest Gump on myself. And not just because I’ve been feeling intellectually- challenged for having gotten so wrapped up in the world of the material, for having spent so much time working a job I only occasionally find fulfilling, for having spent such incredible amounts of money on things that are only fleeting and could never truly touch my soul.

I’m also getting all Forrest Gump on myself in the life-is-like-a-box-of-chocolates;you-never-know-what-you-are-gonna-get kind of way. The bottom line is that I just don’t really know where this process will take me. I don’t even know what kind of person I will be if and when this thing is done. But it’s the not knowing that makes it worthwhile! The not knowing is undiscovered, untouched, totally devoid of any labels, qualifications, and, most importantly, any real prejudices. It just is.

I think I’m going to apply the Forrest Gump principle to this blog. The way I see it, I definitely need to figure out the basics, the practicalities of attaining simplicity through a structured plan. But I will never know what I’m going to get in between the nooks and crannies of structure. Maybe it will be the free-flowing, implicating words on a simple blog that will lead me to where I need to be.

8 comments:

clariposa said...

I saw your comment on CageFreeFamily, and wanted to see who you were. Now that I'm here, I see you've just started this process. Bravo.
I just want to suggest that perhaps the beginning of this freedom from the material is not giving up the big salary, but using it a little differently. You have plenty. That is clear. Perhaps you would feel less confined if you rid yourself of your debt (all debt, including that townhouse renovation) and do it quickly. Once that is done, you can start to give away more of your money. Giving when you have the opportunity feels wonderful. I think you may find some freedom in this.
I'll be checking back to see how your journey unfolds. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Clariposa

Thanks for the comments. It's kinda where I'm going. The idea is to get out debt as much as possible and then save enough to leave. I have a ton of different ideas and can't wait to get started...or more appropriately, get the process going in full swing since I've been preparing for this for a while now.

And please do check in as much as possible. I will need the encouragement!

Take care,

Jack

clariposa said...

I find Dave Ramsey quite motivating on the get-out-of-debt front. Check him out if you get a chance. www.daveramsey.com
He's religious, but his show focuses on common sense. If you're highly sensitive to Christian dogma, then he may rub you funny, but if you can handle it, he's quite humorous and enlightening.
I'm not committed to the simplicity lifestyle quite yet, but I do believe that money and material goods form a prison, and getting to a point where I can give freely makes me free.
~Claire

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! I will check him out.

anita said...

How funny! I, too, saw your comment on CFFamily and I, too, was going to recommend you check out Dave Ramsey. His Financial Peace University program is definitely worth checking out. Good luck to you!

Jack said...

Thanks anita! He's already on my list of stuff to look through over the next couple of weeks...take care,

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great way of approaching it. This really is a process and journey that will make you learn more about yourself and what your core values are, and much more. By not restricting yourself, you will learn more. I think that your plan is also great. We have to deal with our responsibilities first, such as your student loans.Then you can start doing something you love. Remember that we have to help ourselves first before we can help others, and that this is your journey, so do what you are comfortable with, as long as you don't burn any bridges. Thanks for the encouragement on my new job.

Jack said...

Katrina,

Thanks for the message. Super excited you found the blog. I think I will be following your journey going forward, for so many reasons. It's weird, because even though I came late to the VS party, I do feel that you were one of the first people to see the first inklings of this project. Thanks for listening, err.. reading...

J,